Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
In doing so, children acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on knowledge and understanding gained in mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Children learn how to become innovative, enterprising, resourceful and confident.
Teaching of Design and Technology at Tollgate aims to:
- Ensure that all pupils develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Ensure that all pupils build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- Ensure that all pupils critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Ensure that all pupils understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- To share good practice within the school.
- To work with other schools to share good practice in order to improve this policy.